Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rerun: MY Response to the Devilvet Challenge

From a little less than two years ago:

devilvet: "So tell me in 250 words or less how you are going to change theatre for the better?"

1. Decentralization. Get out of the major cities and gather somewhere else that isn't already choked with theatre. No drive-by guest artists from Nylachi.

2. Localization. Form an ensemble that will stay together for a while. Preferably with at least one resident playwright attached who writes plays for the ensemble. Become an active member of the community. Listen.

3. Tribal economics. Pool income. Take out what you need to survive. Each member brings more to the table than their theatrical specialty. Ensemble controls ancillary income. Everyone does everything.

4. Education. Teach young artists the entrepreneurial and collaboration skills needed to control their own artistic lives and truly co-create.
There -- 142 words to spare.

3 comments:

Sabina E. said...

i like your response. Very useful answers.

A Good Husband said...

I'm on my way to starting a niche theatre company that deals with religious issues. I love this. Keep writing!

Cole Matson said...

Cory--

How could one keep up-to-date on your theatre company? I'm an actor currently studying theology with plans to start a similar company in the future. I've been thinking through models of running a theatre company that deals with religious themes on my blog, and I'm very much interested in others' approaches.

Thanks,
Cole Matson
Blog: The Unicorn Triumphant - http://colematson.com

Think Again: Funding and Budgets in the Arts

Every once in a while, I think I'll post a link or two to posts written earlier in the life of Theatre Ideas that seem worth revisiting ...